Ways to boost ingame and forum activity

General banter and discussion.
Rustin

Ways to boost ingame and forum activity

Post by Rustin » August 9th, 2013, 8:21 pm

Hello everyone. As I mentioned in my other post, I'm a past player from the 2006-2007 era of Cosrin. After a brief bout of nostalgia and a curious Google search, I discovered that Cosrin had been revamped with "A New Dawn" and that piqued my interest. Now I'm back and addicted again, building up a new character or two, having a blast despite the small playerbase.

I know I'm basically a newbie so forgive me if I'm speaking out of line or it seems like I'm just a naive fool, but I'd really like to discuss some ways to jumpstart the stagnancy of Cosrin. I have no doubt that I'm not the only one who's tried something like this and I don't expect Cosrin to ever see AOL/Freeloader numbers again, but even if we could house 20-50 simultaneous players during peak, that would be loads of fantastic fun.

As far as I can tell, we're stuck in the Circle of Hell where we need more players, but players won't join because we don't have many players, so we basically need more players to bring in more players. Where have all the old, active players gone? Names that immediately come to mind include Dumbldore, Sweetrabbit, Bloodoath, Sarryn, and a few others. If we could entice them back, that would be a good way to seed the playerbase some more.

Other issues that might be negatively affecting player retention (both new players and current players):

Lack of OOC chat. According to the help files, the CHATS channel is not meant to be used as a general chit-chat medium, which is unfortunate. When I'm off hunting or questing or doing something within guild walls or any other isolated activity, I would still like to be able to chat with the other players. As it is right now, there's an overwhelming sense of loneliness unless you're just sitting at the shrine, which isn't possible if I want to be productive elsewhere.

Lack of Hero/Immortal sightings and events. In my time here, I've only seen Mozambi (I think that's what his/her name was) and not much came of it. And based on the thread started by Vez, it sounds like hero and immortal sightings have grown pretty rare in general. With more activity there, I think players would be more enthused to log on and play along.

Lack of drama. Despite the discord that's often struck by drama, a healthy dose of it can do wonders for player interest and player participation. Conflict is the heart of interest, and if there was more public player-versus-player drama or guild-versus-guild drama, that would really spark things up.

Disrepair. In general, the site is great, but some pages are empty with no more than "under construction" text. The Armory doesn't seem to be up-to-date (the latest sync appears to have been from mid-May). The forum doesn't receive many posts from the players. If a potential new player stumbled across Cosrin somehow, they would be turned away by these things.

So what can we do? Hire new volunteers to run RP events, hire volunteers to maintain the site and fill out the missing gaps, maybe get the Cosrin.net Wiki back up to speed, and we should ALL be actively chatting on these forums and ingame to keep up the appearance of activity. It may be smoke and mirrors for now, but if we keep that up for long enough it could result in some real growth, maybe even catch the attention of old players to return.

Halren

Re: Ways to boost ingame and forum activity

Post by Halren » August 10th, 2013, 5:02 am

So what can we do? Hire new volunteers to run RP events, hire volunteers to maintain the site and fill out the missing gaps, maybe get the Cosrin.net Wiki back up to speed, and we should ALL be actively chatting on these forums and ingame to keep up the appearance of activity. It may be smoke and mirrors for now, but if we keep that up for long enough it could result in some real growth, maybe even catch the attention of old players to return.
I think forum activity is the easiest thing to accomplish, perhaps an RP storyline thread about a very open activity where everyone can jump in at some point would do best in that regard. The problem about in-game activity is that it does happen, but is of course very limited in its reach and people who were not present have no idea it even happened. In the same context I would've liked the Guild histories to get some more emphasis on the boards, I believe barely anyone has even read them.

Either way I love the enthusiasm, if you have a good idea for any of the above I'll be willing to put some time into it as well.

Rustin

Post by Rustin » August 10th, 2013, 1:31 pm

Thanks for the support. Do you have any OOC contacts with some of the regular players? Maybe even some who have stopped playing? Filling the forums with good content - both RP, IC, and maybe some informative guides to help newer players - should be a priority, and if we could find a few other people who are willing to contribute, we could get the ball rolling.

One thing I think is really important is consolidation. There's a lot of space for not very many players, which makes everything feel empty and barren. I like the closing down of Stormport's newbie area to focus people in Moorgate, but I'm talking elsewhere too. Someone searching for Cosrin might find the old website/forums, this new website/forums, as well as the Cosrin.net wiki and other fansites that people have put up over the years. If we could centralize all of that information into a single place somehow, that would help.

Sometimes I wonder if it wouldn't just be best to combine Cosrin and Terris playerbases. It would result in a higher online player count, thus more activity, which could draw in more players both new and old. But the two games are really different and that idea probably won't be received well.

Rustin

Post by Rustin » August 10th, 2013, 11:34 pm

Based on classranks, there are approximately 35 registered players, which would be more than enough of those players were more active. Perhaps everyone is away on summer vacation and they'll return within the month. I hope so. Until then, our best bet is to rally the return of players and get some RP going.

I'll make some posts in the character tales section in the coming days. Other than that, we should probably get a focused RP arc going somehow. Thoughts?

Shadow

Post by Shadow » August 12th, 2013, 12:38 pm

I hear reliably that Bloodoaf is still in contact with Sarryn, who tells him what's going on from time to time. He's been known to pop into the lands from time to time, but got bored having to hunt the same area for weeks on end in order to get to a new area.

Tilius
Site Admin

Post by Tilius » August 18th, 2013, 10:44 pm

Rustin wrote: Lack of OOC chat. ...

Lack of Hero/Immortal sightings and events. ...
I just have two comments here.

OOC chats -- We've moved on from the regime where chats is a police state. I would say we never enforce HELP CHATS, unless it is disruptive -- rather we enforce HELP POLICY 5 (no disruptive behavior) and HELP POLICY 7 ("Cosrin caters to players of all ages and behaviour should be appropriate for everyone in the game").

Even then, I would expect you to receive a polite request/verbal warning for disruptive behavior before anything else. When C:AND launched and the policy was being reworded, I do remember speaking to Admin (at the time) about such things and HELP POLICY 5 is what resulted.

Hero/Immortal sightings --

Primarily, staff has the job of enforcing policy, handling administrative tasks, moderating the forums/bug tickets, planning new areas/features/content, and answering questions/helping players. Roleplay is secondary after all of this and therefore, gets left by the wayside often.

I wish we, as a community would stop putting so much unnecessary weight on staff in terms of Roleplay. Roleplay and activities can happen with or without staff participation. YOU, the players, make the community and create the RP environment around you. You determine how rich or mundane it is. Roleplay started by players is just as rewarding, valuable, and meaningful as roleplay started by staff -- if not even moreso.

I empower you as the community to take charge of your own gameplay experience. If you want to play with more people or spur new activity, start sharing the Armory and website links on your social networks and show your friends the game. Message people and ask them if they want to plan an RP with you. Set up some roleplay groups -- get a website and google calendar going to plan roleplays in advance. Have a talking with people who don't make their roleplay commitments.

Now, that being said, there have always been murmurs of adding new staff for the explicit purpose of more frequent Hero-driven roleplay. I still see this as an option that is on the table and if Admin deems appropriate then they will make it so.

If you have ideas for a specific roleplay that you want staff assistance with, you can always email us your suggestion/idea. There's nothing to lose by sending your idea to us.
- sincerely signed, Tilius Tinkerwhistle!