Descriptions

Submit engine enhancement suggestions, ideas for new areas and monsters, commentary on gameplay balance, etc.
Kazrath

Descriptions

Post by Kazrath »

Writing a concise and interesting character description has always been a challenge with the two lines that we have, and there always seems to be something else I want to add. I'd like to suggest that either the description size be increased to four or five lines (any more could look spammy and annoying when examining someone) or keep it as it is and have a separate longer description of ten or so lines, viewable with a new command such as 'inspect', 'survey' or just 'lex' (long examine) for short.

I don't know how to use the development tracker so I'm posting here.

Lothaine

Re: Descriptions

Post by Lothaine »

This topic does seem to come up a lot in conversation. There is merit though in keeping something short and sweet.

I do like the idea of a 'lex' or long examine... If the idea is considered, I would suggest there being a flag you can toggle on, so that when you examine a player, it automatically shows the long examine.
Lothaine of the Mages' Guild
CosrinLothaine@gmail.com

Fynn

Post by Fynn »

Lothaine wrote:This topic does seem to come up a lot in conversation. There is merit though in keeping something short and sweet.

I do like the idea of a 'lex' or long examine... If the idea is considered, I would suggest there being a flag you can toggle on, so that when you examine a player, it automatically shows the long examine.
I'd like this.

I'd also like for people to think about what a description really is - it shouldn't say things like "As you look at" or "he winks at you" or anything interactive like that. Literally, descriptive. So describe yourself. I can see a longer description being used wrongly, but I suppose that is impossible to avoid to an extent. I'm fussy, but I do like it when descriptions just describe - rather than try to show actions.

/sidetrack

I concur! Make it so.
Fynn

I aim to misbehave.

Tzumi

Post by Tzumi »

Oh yes! I would love to be able to provide a longer description, and to see more than 'blue eyes, brown hair, calm expression' there is so much more you can do, which would help a lot in other's understanding your character :-)

Tilius
Site Admin

Post by Tilius »

Fynn wrote:I'm fussy, but I do like it when descriptions just describe - rather than try to show actions.
This has been a personal pet peeve of mine. When descriptions (or even room text, room emotes, etc.) say things like, "you feel frightened by the howls of the night." -- that is something that should not be done, because the text should not be telling the player how they feel, act, or perceive things. That is up to the player and their RP/persona to decide. What if the character is a stone cold emotionless killer? Fright doesn't come easily to that type of person. That's my two cents.

Given the current state of the game I would not restrict the narrative/perspective style of any players description, but it does seem to be more RP-friendly if you are not telling everyone how to feel, think, or interpret things.

On topic: We've discussed the description length issue before. I have created an enhancement ticket for this on the development tracker. http://cosrintwo.com/development/engine/ticket-16
- sincerely signed, Tilius Tinkerwhistle!

Lothaine

Post by Lothaine »

Tilius wrote:We've discussed the description length issue before. I have created an enhancement ticket for this on the development tracker.
Thank you kindly. ^_^
Lothaine of the Mages' Guild
CosrinLothaine@gmail.com