New Fighters' Subguilds: Preview & Discussion

Submit engine enhancement suggestions, ideas for new areas and monsters, commentary on gameplay balance, etc.
Halren

New Fighters' Subguilds: Preview & Discussion

Post by Halren »

Hello everyone.

As I've stated before, I am working on replacing all three existing Fighters' subguilds in favor of RP-based Subs, giving rangers/barbs/fighters a choice in which subguild to join. Two of them have been mostly decided but have a ton of things such as mounts and NPC names to still be open for suggestions. I believe the third is still up for debate, where I would like feedback from everyone who feels that a major fighter-archetype still needs representation.

I'll shortly introduce the two subguilds that have already been worked on and would like feedback on those, but mostly would love the ideas you all have for the third sub.

I also know there will be people saying they would like to be able to still RP as a knight: We can easily make knighthood an RP-based thing in the guild, independent of subguilds you could still earn the title of Sir/Lady.

Subguild 1: The Wardens
========================
The Wardens are heavily plated, disciplined warriors as the main defense force of the Fighters' guild. They are professional men and women of arms who serve in a militay-like organisation structure. This is the only subguild using full metal plating, and their weapons will all be rather traditional, efficient forged metal weaponry. The three main emphases for The Wardens would be; defensive, military tradition/discipline, smithing.

This is not at all like the Knights' tower where it is all about lance+shields, or honor/justice. It's about military tradition/discipline/skill with a variety of weapon styles, and no allegiance to any cause other than the Fighters'.

The subguild has a main stronghold around Everhell for guildrank 20-31, after that each guildportal is its own Keep/Outpost/Watchertower somewhere in the realm that needs someone watching it for dangerous activities.

Main RP Types:
- Protectors of the guild and/or Island
- Master smiths
- Being a soldier in a larger organisation (The GO of this subguild would inherit the "General" prefix, there could be some luitenants, etcetera)

Items:
Weapons: Crafted metal weaponry, efficient and not too flashy
Armor: Crafted full-metal plating. The only sub to have armor that's RP-wise made by blacksmithing.
Mounts: Armoured, well-disciplined animals.

Subguild 2: The Mercenaries
========================
The Mercenaries are ruthless warriors, and while they are bound to the Fighters' guild their morals and choices are unrestricted. This subguild focusses on ferocious combat, using the hide of slain beasts to craft armor (Yes, Panther skin will make a triumphant return) and using a wide variety of spectacular weapons.

The mercenaries will have a seperate area per guildrank (Except 20 and 26 are together) out in the world like the Wardens, except all of the Wardens' areas are relatively safe, mostly along the causeway. The Mercenaries have their sub-areas within hunting areas, especially hunting areas that drop the required hide for their subguild armor. Each area would a hidden cave/clearing in that hunting area, where a few experienced mercenaries have set up camp and are willing to teach you a thing or two about leatherworking and killing things. Maybe for a price of course.

Main RP Types:
- Mercenaries (Couldve see that coming)
- Gladiators
- Lone wolves

Items:
Weapons: Half-crafted, half store-bought weaponry. A lot of variety between portals, so you're not using steel/mithril/vulcanite/adamantite versions of the exact same sword from level 20 to 200. Maybe even some bone-weapons or dual-wielding weapons as THWs.
Armor: Crafted from hide. Like panther skin, but with appropiate stats for their guildportals.
Mounts: Savage beasts, could be a mix between mounts and companions.

Subguild 3: To Be Decided.
=========================
The third subguild is as of yet undecided, and could use some suggestions. Below are a few of the things I would very much like to incorporate for this sub though.

Location: The other two subs are already split up in areas all over the place, I want this one to be one giant structure at or maybe under the Fighters' guild.
Armor: The other subs have crafting in their own ways, all of the armor here would be store-bought. Also the choice of leather and chainmail at every armor portal, we have full-plate (Wardens) and Fur/Hide (Mercs) already.
Weapons: Same as armor, store-bought for this sub.

So with that in mind: What would be your perfect third Fighters' subguild?
Fumpy

Re: New Fighters' Subguilds: Preview & Discussion

Post by Fumpy »

Mebbes develop the sacred white tree in Ashwood fer us nature boys.
Fumpy

Re: New Fighters' Subguilds: Preview & Discussion

Post by Fumpy »

I still feel the shining, honourable knights, the barbarians(being more mercenary), and the wandering rangers are the archetypal ideas of who folks want to play, rping within this framework. We really need to talk about this. I'd like to see progress, and something grittier too.